Monday, January 6, 2014

It's been a nostalgic weekend. When your kids are all teenagers and no longer fit in your lap, old pictures can stir up feelings of longing for the past when you were their hero.

While looking for an old picture of my BFF, Leilani Fano, and myself, I came across a bag with some funny writing from Dylan in the 3rd grade, and a photo album from our Disneyland trip in 2003. Somewhat surprised that my kids were at all interested, we sat together on the couch and read Dylan's inspiring notes (haha) and reminisced of their long ago childhood.

Darnel and Dylan with their daddy, Fa'a. They always wanted to be just like him! You can see the enthusiasm in their face as they sat just inside the gates of Disneyland. Surely they were thinking, "Come on, Mom. Hurry up! We want to go on rides." Darnel was 5, Dylan 4, and Fa'a a young 33. 

My Princess, Aryana was three years old (almost 4) at the time of this trip. She was obsessed with the Disney Princess. I'm not sure what she was thinking during this picture (possibly wanting to remove her shorts!).  She was so cute! 



Dylan pretending to drive Darnel around 'Toon Town'. I think this explains it all. I have to laugh at their faces because their personalities are so obvious. I should have known things wouldn't change as they grew older. By the way, I LOVE Dylan's hair. I wish it would lay down like it did then. 

 Buzz Lightyear was totally their hero! The kids waited patiently to meet him after the show. 



  Dylan and Aryana waiting to meet Mickey Mouse!

 Dylan and Woody in Adventureland. He was such a sweet little boy. Until sixteen months ago, he couldn't sleep at night unless I kissed him and all his stuffed animals goodnight. I miss that so much! Now I'm lucky if I get a goodnight.
















Winnie the Pooh outside of Splash Mountain. Darnel looks exactly the same, just taller (and hairier, lol)!























Last, but not least, I came across this picture of the boys in their new outfits from Samoa. Dylan was 16 months old and Darnel was 28 months. I love, love, love their smiles!

I knew the day would come (because my mother said it would), when I would look back and wish I could relive it all over again. I would definitely take more pictures and videos, give move hugs and kisses, laugh more and yell less. I am grateful for the memories I have (that I can still remember!) and cherish the videos we made. They are truly the most precious items I poses. 

Erin Apelu--The Most Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment